Welcome to my read-along answers for Masquerade by Cambria Hebert! This week’s questions were provided by Candace at Candace’s Book Blog and next week’s questions will be at Rainy Day Ramblings.
Hope you enjoy! And if you haven’t read this book yet, what are you waiting for!?
Week 2/ Chapters 8-16 Discussion Questions
1. Sam is admittedly drawn to Heven before they even meet. Why do you think this is?
Heven just seems like an innocent girl to me. She had this horrible thing happen to her and is scarred, but Sam can see/feel the goodness in her, the hope she still carries inside. Even disfigured, Sam knows she’s beautiful, inside and out, and is drawn to her because of it.
2. In an earlier chapter The Hope states that Sam must prove himself. During these chapters Sam does some things – bad things – (covering up murder, fighting, hiding a body, etc.) all to protect Heven and his true identity. Do you think he was right to do these things?
Keeping Heven safe has been Sam’s priority, and he proves again here that he would do ANYTHING to keep her safe. While maybe not the best choices, they are the ones that Sam makes based on his simple view of the situation: do anything if it keeps Heven safe.
3. In chapter twelve Kimber says some things to Heven that make the reader wonder about their friendship. Do you think there is any truth Kimber’s drunken confessions? If so where do you think Heven and Kimber’s friendship goes from here?
Drunken confessions are often the most truthful, since inhibitions are lowered, so I do think there is some truth to what Kimber says. As for where they go, I think Heven and Kimber have to reassess how their friendship works and have a nice chat about what Kimber said/feels. If done in a healthy manner, Heven and Kimber could come out of this stronger than ever.
4. Heven is changing, becoming more confident. Do you think that after something like this (her accident and disfigurement) happens to someone that she can ever go back to the person she was before? Do you think she will want to?
I don’t think she (or anyone that goes through something like that) will ever be the person she was before. Often times, things like this change us, hopefully for the better, and we find ourselves unable to go back to the “carefree” ways of our past. Just as going to war changes the lives of the soldiers, Heven’s accident changes her – you can’t unsee those things. And I don’t think she’d want to. As nice as being oblivious sounds, it’s often better to know what you’re up against.
5. Toward the end of these set of chapters, Heven finds out Sam’s secret, who he really is. She has a strong reaction. Do you think you would react the same way? Why or why not?
I’m honestly not sure how I’d react to finding out my boyfriend is a hellhound. Or that vampires exist, or fairies, etc. It’s like being a child and finding out all those fairy tale people you believed in aren’t real and the movies you watch don’t have real characters (unless you go to Disney, of course). Saying “that’s not real” while watching a horror movie is one thing. Having the horror movie in your living room is another thing.
Werewolves I think I’d be ok with. I like wolves. 🙂
Come join me next Thursday for the next round of questions! And here are the links for Masquerade if you haven’t gotten it yet:
7 thoughts on “Masquerade (Heven and Hell #1) Read-Along Week 2”
I love wolves too!! Lol. Good answer! But Hellhounds are a close second to wolves for me. 😀
I enjoyed readin your answers and question one is my favorite. 🙂 i also like how you say to Sam his actions boil down to one thing keeping Heven safe.
Thanks for joining in!
I know you loves wolves – that was in there for you! 🙂
I agree that Heven seems very innocent. Can you imagine dealing with all this with little life experience under your belt? Great answers.
I like wolves too! Hellhounds do sound ridiculously scarey don’t they?!
I’ve been exploring for a little for any high-quality articles or
blog posts in this kind of house . Exploring in Yahoo
I finally stumbled upon this site. Studying this information So i’m
happy to show that I’ve a very good uncanny feeling I found out just
what I needed. I so much undoubtedly will make sure
to do not forget this web site and provides it a look
on a continuing basis.